Monday, February 3, 2014

FEB 2014 Writing Challenge - Day 3

Story in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

I don't even know if what I am wearing is nice enough, and this is just making me even more anxious, too anxious to even begin to find something else to wear. I can't help but to think this is a dream and that he is going to cancel. James told me last week after class that he started to realize his feelings for me went deeper than friendship. I was more than happy to hear this.

I have loved James ever since we started university, he was my best friend and I am sure, he was meant to be my first and last. But I started to get doubtful when he suggested we watch the premiere of the Titanic with Leonardo DeCaprio. James hated romance films, but I said yes because I have been waiting for this movie for weeks.

I can hear him talking downstairs with my dad, they have always been too close for comfort. That is why I wasn't surprised when my dad knew about this date before I did. I decide to make my way downstairs and as look at him, I start to glow. This sun is in my heart, I am sure.

 "You ready to go?" He asks and I can only manage to nod. I kiss my father goodbye and leave as the butterflies start to go. He borrowed his dad's pick up he says because he didn't want for us to have to take the bus or call a cab. Then he opens the door for me and I know this is real for him too. Something has changed. We talk a little about school but my mind isn't here. I wait for a break in our conversation and I ask, "Why Titanic?" And he just says, "Because you want to." 

I can't help but to smile and we approach the theatre. I notice him hurrying to park so that he could come around and open my door. As a joke I rush out just to beat him. He notices my efforts and laughs, I hear a trace of embarrassment and reassure him that he doesn't have to. He looks me in the eyes and says, "I know, but I need you to understand how much this means to me. So if it's the little things like watching a movie you are dying to see our opening the door for you, I am going to do it. Because I think I'm falling in love with you Kalie."

There it is...my fireworks moment. I'm frozen, to happy to breathe for fear of waking up. I just want to stay here and talk all night. I just want to feel his heart beat and know that some how, falling fir me changed its rhythm. "Kalie? Are you okay?" I don't reply immediately.  I just look at him and put my hand on his cheek, " Yes, I'm okay. I love you, James. I always have."

This movie is better than I imagined, the acting is great but he is here with me. As if he read my mind earlier,  he takes my hand and puts it on his chest.  "You feel that? You changed the beat of my heart." Without a second in between,  he kisses me lightly, taking my breath away and I know, he will always be able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment